Back in 1978, Dave Bailey joined Dave Deforge in the making of wooden bottom clogs at the factory in Colchester. They made clogs and sold them wholesale to retail shoe stores all over New England. They started selling the seconds (slightly imperfect) in the front area of the Colchester store. Gradually, they added lines of shoes from other vendors to their own retail presence.
- Helen joined the company as the bookkeeper in 1982.
- In 1984, they opened the Shelburne Road Store.
- In 1986, Dave went on the road as a Sales Rep for several different Canadian Boot companies and Helen started doing the buying for the stores as well as overseeing the management of the stores.
- In 1990, the St Albans store was purchased and
- In 1999, Adams Boots and Shoes was purchased from John Adams who continued to work in the store until he passed away.
Sign from the original workshop
Today, Danform Shoes has four successful locations. Over 30 plus years, the shoes have changed, but Helen and Dave’s philosophy - helping our customers find the right style and fit at a great price within a comfortable atmosphere - is the same.
Stop in to any of our four stores and you'll see why we don't water-down our service by selling our shoes online!